Things that didn’t go to plan

When experimenting with different materials I started to use cement and concrete. My intention was to make a series of concrete blocks which vary in size. I planned to use these blocks in my final piece, however I found that casting concrete blocks wouldn’t work because they would be too heavy for the work.

I then started using blocks of polystyrene which I covered with cement to make the blocks appear as if they were cast in concrete or made of cement.

After doing this the outcome didn’t turn out as I had expected, the blocks started to crack and fall apart. I came t the conclusion that either the cement was mixed incorrectly or that it was layed on to thin.

I thin repeated the process with thicker layers of cement. This also failed because large chunks would break off and the blocks became out with rounded edged.

I tried mixing the cement differently and found that it worked better if the cement had more water mixed with it. I also found that to prevent the blocks from cracking, the cement had to be applied in an even layer. I used smaller pieces of polystyrene to see which would turn out the best. These pieces were made with wetter cement which resulted in a smooth finish.

When making artwork things commonly don’t go to plan. I believe this is part of the learning process and although the work might not come out as I expect it to, I may like the outcome that was achieved accidentally.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s